What You Need to Know About our Reopening in Phase 2
*Updated June 13, 2020*
Monday-Wednesday: 9 am to 4:30 pm
Thursday: 9 am to 7 pm
Limited Building Occupancy
Our current regulations for opening to the public allows for up to 18 patrons in the designated space. Also, patrons can spend no more than 30 minutes in the building at a time. Please keep in mind that this is only temporary, and in the next phase, the capacity will increase.
Curbside Pickup (Call Reference at 401-247-1920 x2)
This service will continue to be offered throughout this phase for your convenience.
- Library staff will take calls to reserve library materials during open hours. The easiest way to find materials is to search the online catalog and limit your search to items currently available at Barrington Public Library. No more than five items may be requested per visit.
- When you call the library please have your library card ready and as much information about the items as possible, such as title and author, call number, and location in our building. Once the order is taken, you’ll be given a time to pick up your items.
- When you arrive at your reserved time, wait in your car and call the number on the sidewalk sign outside the entrance of the library. Your items will be placed in a paper bag with your name written on the outside. A staff member will place the bag on the sidewalk at the bottom of the entrance stairs. Please wait for the staff member to retreat before leaving your car to retrieve your items.
- You may return your items in the book drop or you can keep them through the end of the loan period.
Pre-order Materials for Pickup in the Library (Call Reference at 401-247-1920 x2)
As with Curbside Pickup, we still encourage you to pre-order materials for pickup in the library to allow staff time to gather your items and have them ready for you.
The state’s book delivery service is not running at full capacity yet, so there will be a limit of 10 items you can put on hold from other libraries. The items you placed on hold before the library closed will count toward the 10 items, so you may need to prioritize your list.
Item Returns & Late Fees
You may return items at any time in the outside bookdrop. All returned items will be held in quarantine for at least 48 hours before being checked in. There will be no late fees at this time.
Limited Access to All Areas
The McCulloch Children’s Room, Teen Room, and all meeting and study spaces will be closed during this phase. Books and other materials can be requested from the children’s and teen collections, and there will be displays with Summer Reading materials and the most current titles on the main floor. No more than five items may be requested per visit.
The Stacks Will be Closed
You will be able to browse new books, media area, and many new displays of books we think you’ll like, and of course, we’ll be happy to retrieve items from the stacks for you. No more than five items may be requested per visit.
Limited Computer Use
To be sure that the public computers are at their cleanest, we will have only four (4) available on a first-come, first-served basis. Users will only receive 30-minute computer usage. If all four (4) computers are in use, ask at the Reference Desk to reserve a computer.
Technology Help is Still Available
for Tech Help, please call 401-247-1920 x2. We are unable to assist patrons with technology in person, but we will continue to assist as much as we can via phone, email or chat. Or join the Virtual Tech Help on Tuesdays at 11 am. Register on our website for the Zoom link.
Free Public Wi-Fi in Our Parking Lot
We upgraded our free public Wi-Fi and it now extends to the far end of the parking lot. Please remember to stay inside your vehicle and follow safe social distancing practices. There is no password required to join our free public Wi-Fi network.
Business Services (printers, copiers, fax, notary)
Self-service copier is available, along with printers and fax machine. Mobile printing also available. Print jobs are free up to $2. We cannot make change for the coin machine. Notary Public is not available during Phase 2. Learn more about fees and access here.
Programs Will Continue to be Brought to You Virtually
Limiting the size of the audience for our programs is difficult because of your enthusiastic attendance. In this phase the most inclusive and safest way we can offer a wide selection of programs remains virtual.
Enhanced Cleaning Schedule
Our dedicated custodians are usually behind-the-scenes cleaning the library after hours, but since the ramp-up of our cleaning schedule, you may notice them working during open hours.
For the safety of all, we require that you wear face coverings while in the library and maintain a proper social distance from other patrons. If you are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical or emotional reason, we will make accommodations for you which will be in the best interest for all.
For questions, call us at 401-247-1920, contact us through our Live Librarian Chat on our website, or email email@example.com.
- Reopening RI Libraries - Ocean State Libraries constorium phased reopening plan
- RI Public Libraries open status - Check this list for links to public libraries around the state
- Barrington COVID-19 Updates - Keep informed of local updates from town officials
- Reopening RI - The governor's phased guidelines for reopening the state.
- Governor.ri.gov - Sign up for email updates from the governor's office.