What You Need to Know About our Reopening in Phase 3
*Updated August 3, 2020*
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9 am to 4:30 pm
Tuesday & Thursday: 9 am to 7 pm
Saturday & Sunday: Closed
Our dedicated custodians are usually behind-the-scenes cleaning the library after hours, but since the ramp-up of our cleaning schedule, you may notice them working during open hours.
For the safety of all, we require that you wear face coverings while in the library and maintain a proper social distance from other patrons. If you are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical or emotional reason, we will make accommodations for you which will be in the best interest for all.
- How many patrons can be in the library at once?
Our current regulations for opening to the public allows for up to 35 patrons inside the library.
- How long can I stay inside the library?
We ask that you limit your in-library browsing to 30-minutes to allow other patrons inside the building. For computer use, we will allow you to stay up to 60-minutes.
- How do I borrow library books, movies, and other materials?
There are several different methods to access your library's collection. Some are contact-free, and others with minimal contact.
- Pre-order and pickup Curbside by calling 401-247-1920 x2 to request up to 5 items and schedule a time for pickup.
- Borrow digital items through eZone/OverDrive, hoopla, Kanopy, or Flipster or access online learning platforms from home. Find more info here.
- Browse the library stacks on the Main Floor in-person (please limit your browsing to no more than 30 minutes).
- Reserve items from other Rhode Island libraries through our online catalog, for either In-Person Pickup or Curbside.
- Call-ahead to reserve in-library items for in-person pickup. Call 401-247-1920 x2 to request up to 5 items and our staff will put your items on hold and you'll have seven (7) days to come in to pickup.
- How many items can I place on hold or reserve from another Rhode Island library?
The state’s book delivery service is not running at full capacity yet, so there will be a limit of 15 items you can put on hold from other libraries. The items you placed on hold before the library closed will count toward the 15 items, so you may need to prioritize your list.
- How do I return my items? Do you quarantine library materials after I return them?
You may return items at any time in the outside bookdrop. All returned items will be held in quarantine for a maximum of 72 hours before being checked in.
- Will I be charged a late fee during this time?
We are temporarily waiving all late fees for items returned. Please note: due to items being held in quarantine for a maximum of 72 hours, your items will remain checked out on your card until the quarantine period is over and we are able to check them in.
- Are some areas of the library closed to the public?
The McCulloch Children’s Room, and all meeting and study spaces will remain closed at this time. Books and other materials can be requested from the children’s collection, and there will be displays with Summer Reading materials and the most current titles on the main floor.
- Can I use a public computer?
We have eight (8) computers available on a first-come, first-served basis. Users will only receive up to 60-minute computer usage. If all eight (8) computers are in use, ask at the Information Services Desk to reserve a computer.
- Can I get Tech Help?
For Tech Help, please call staff at the Information Services desk at 401-247-1920 x2. We are unable to assist patrons with technology in person, but we will continue to assist as much as we can via phone, email or chat. Or join the Virtual Tech Help on Tuesdays at 11 am. Register on our website for the Zoom link.
- Do You Still Have Wi-Fi Access?
We upgraded our free public Wi-Fi and it now extends to the far end of the parking lot. Please remember to stay inside your vehicle and follow safe social distancing practices. There is no password required to join our free public Wi-Fi network.
- I Need to Make a Copy, Print, Fax, or Get Notary Services...Are They Available?
Self-service copier is available, along with printers and fax machine. Mobile printing also available. We cannot make change for the coin machine. If you do not have exact change for your print job, we won't charge you if the fee is under $2. If it's greater than $2 we will attach the fee to your library card to pay later online. Notary Public is not available during this time. Learn more about printing fees and access here.
- I Want to Attend a Library Program...Where Can I Find the Events Calendar?
Right now, the safest way we can offer a wide selection of programs remains virtual. We are offering virtual public programs on Zoom, Facebook Live, and on YouTube. Find our events calendar here.
- Is the Daily Book Sale Open?
The Daily Book Sale returns to the Main Floor of the library. This is in addition, to their new online store. Payment for the Daily Book Sale is either cash (no change will be made) or you can pay through PayPal (instructions available at the library).
For questions, call us at 401-247-1920, contact us through our Live Librarian Chat on our website, or email email@example.com.
- Reopening RI Libraries - Ocean State Libraries constorium phased reopening plan
- RI Public Libraries open status - Check this list for links to public libraries around the state
- Barrington COVID-19 Updates - Keep informed of local updates from town officials
- Reopening RI - The governor's phased guidelines for reopening the state.
- Governor.ri.gov - Sign up for email updates from the governor's office.