GET A FREE LIBRARY CARD IF:
- You live in RI and the library in your city/town belongs to Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium
- OR, You pay RI state property taxes (show us a current tax bill)
- OR, You are a boarding student of St. Andrews School in Barrington (valid during current school year)
GET A LIBRARY CARD WITH AN ANNUAL FEE IF:
- You live outside of Rhode Island, don’t pay RI state property taxes, and the library in your city/town is certified according to your state’s requirements
- $155.00 annual fee to get a “Full Access” card (all the privileges of a free card as above)
- $25.00 annual fee to get a “Local Access” card that lets you borrow and reserve only Barrington materials
TO APPLY FOR A LIBRARY CARD:
Bring a picture ID and at least one piece of identification with your current address to the Circulation Desk. Alternatively, you may apply for a card online here.
VALID IDENTIFICATION INCLUDES:
- State Driver's License, R.I. Identification card (from Dept. of Motor Vehicles), or Current Liquor I.D.
- Car registration
- Rental leases or receipts
- Welfare cards
- Student ID
- College ID (Students must have 2 forms of ID to verify both permanent address and local mailing address)
Children under 14 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian when applying for a library card.
TO REPLACE A LIBRARY CARD:
Cost is $1; staff will ask to see your picture ID to look up your account before issuing a new library card.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CARDHOLDERS
Cardholders accept responsibility for all items checked out on their card. Library cards are non-transferable. Report a lost library card or a change of address as soon as possible.
The Library reserves the right to suspend your borrowing privileges if you owe more than $5 in fines, or if you have an outstanding bill for non-returned library materials. R.I. Gen. Laws 11-41
The Library also reserves the right to permanently revoke your borrowing privileges in cases of theft or destruction of any type of library property.
You can be notified of material requested, items to be returned, and overdue materials three ways:
- by email
- SMS text message
- by phone