What You Need to Know About our Continued Reopening in Phase 3
*Updated April 5, 2021*
For information about Rhode Island and reopening guidelines, please go to Reopening RI
For coronavirus & Vaccine information including town and state updates, please go to Coronavirus Resources
Monday thru Thursday: 9 am to 8 pm
Friday & Saturday: 9 am to 4:30 pm
Our dedicated custodians are usually behind-the-scenes cleaning the library after hours, but since the ramp-up of our cleaning schedule, you may notice them working during open hours.
For the safety of all, we require that you wear face coverings while in the library and maintain a proper social distance from other patrons. If you are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical or emotional reason, we will make accommodations for you which will be in the best interest for all.
- How many patrons can be in the library at once?
Our current regulations for opening to the public allows for up to 35 patrons inside the library.
- How long can I stay inside the library?
We ask that you keep in mind that shortened visits help keep us all healthy. For computer use, we will allow you to stay up to 60-minutes (1-hour).
- How do I borrow library books, movies, and other materials?
There are several different methods to access your library's collection. Some are contact-free, and others with minimal contact.
- Browse the library stacks on the Main Floor in-person.
- Borrow digital items through eZone/OverDrive/Libby, hoopla, Kanopy, or Flipster.
- Access online learning and research platforms like Ancestry Library Edition or Universal Class from home.
To PRE-ORDER or REQUEST items for pickup YOU CAN:
- Pre-order and pick up Curbside by calling 401-247-1920 x2. This service begins at 10 am every day and ends a half hour before we close. Items are limited to those available at BPL and we ask that your requests be capped at 5 items per card.
- Reserve items from other Rhode Island libraries through our online catalog, for either In-Person Pickup or Curbside. Please wait for notification that your items are ready before arriving to pick up.
- Call ahead to reserve in-library items for in-person pickup. Call 401-247-1920 x2 to request up to 5 items and our staff will put your items on hold and you'll have seven (7) days to come in to pick up.
- How many items can I place on hold or reserve from another Rhode Island library?
The state’s book delivery service is not running at full capacity yet, so there will be a limit of 20 items you can put on hold from other libraries. The items you placed on hold before the library closed will count toward the 20 items, so you may need to prioritize your list.
- How do I return my items? Do you quarantine library materials after I return them?
You may return items at any time in the outside bookdrop. All returned items will be held in quarantine for a minimum of 72 hours before being checked in.
- Will I be charged a late fee during this time?
We are temporarily waiving all late fees for items returned through May 31, 2021. Please note: due to items being held in quarantine for a minimum of 72 hours, your items will remain checked out on your card until the quarantine period is over and we are able to check them in.
- Are some areas of the library closed to the public?
The auditorium and gallery, and all meeting and study spaces will remain closed to the public at this time. The McCulloch Children's Room has reopened BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. You can schedule an appointment here, or call 401-247-1920 x4. Books and other children's materials can be requested from the Children’s Room from the Reference Desk. You can browse the Kid's Annex on the first floor for a wide selection of frequently changing book displays including all of our new children's books.
- Can I use a public computer?
We have eight (8) computers available on a first-come, first-served basis. Users will only receive up to 60-minute computer usage. If all eight (8) computers are in use, ask at the Information Services Desk to reserve a computer.
- Can I use my laptop in the library?
We have six (6) individual stations or tables available on a first-come, first-served basis. You must wear a mask at all times. Although there's no time limit, please be mindful of your time in the library.
- Can I get Tech Help?
For Tech Help, please call staff at the Information Services desk at 401-247-1920 x2 for immediate assistance via phone, email or chat. Contact the Digital Services Librarian for one-on-one Tech Help here. Tech help appointments are available in-person, by phone, or on Zoom.
- Do You Still Have Wi-Fi Access?
We upgraded our free public Wi-Fi and it now extends to the far end of the parking lot. Please remember to stay inside your vehicle and follow safe social distancing practices. There is no password required to join our free public Wi-Fi network. We have power pack charger units available for when your devices need charging. Units are for 2 hours and in-library use only. You will need an up-to-date Ocean State Libraries card. Ask at the Reference Desk.
- I Need to Make a Copy, Print, Fax, or Get Notary Services...Are They Available?
Self-service copier is available, along with printers and fax machine. Mobile printing also available. We cannot make change for the coin machine. If you do not have exact change for your print job, we won't charge you if the fee is under $2. If it's greater than $2 we will attach the fee to your library card to pay later online. Notary Public is not available during this time. Learn more about printing fees and access here.
- I Want to Attend a Library Program...Where Can I Find the Events Calendar?
Right now, the safest way we can offer a wide selection of programs remains virtual or limited capacity outdoor events. We are offering virtual public programs on Zoom and on-demand via YouTube and the Rhody Radio Podcast. We are also offering some outdoor events this spring. Find our events calendar here.
- Is the Daily Book Sale Open?
The Daily Book Sale has returned to the Main Floor of the library. This is in addition, to their new online store. Payment for the Daily Book Sale is either cash (no change will be made) or you can pay through PayPal (instructions available at the library).
- Can I donate my books?
Yes, we are accepting book donations ON SPECIFIC DAYS at the designated door behind the library. Please donate on Mondays and Thursdays from 9 am to 4 pm, or Saturdays from 9 am to 3 pm. Book donation guidelines can be found here, or call 401-247-1920 x2. Please do not bring your donations into the library.
For questions, call us at 401-247-1920, contact us through our Live Librarian Chat on our website, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Information - Rhode Island Department of Health vaccine information
- State Vaccination Registration Portal - Sign up for a vaccine (when eligible)
- Reopening RI Libraries - Ocean State Libraries constorium phased reopening plan
- RI Public Libraries open status - Check this list for links to public libraries around the state
- Barrington COVID-19 Updates - Keep informed of local updates from town officials
- Reopening RI - The governor's phased guidelines for reopening the state.
- Governor.ri.gov - Sign up for email updates from the governor's office.